Monday, April 5, 2010

Huveos Rancheros In The Kitchen

Don't you just love a food that's fun to eat and say? I can't say "Huveos Rancheros" without rolling my R's. Being a vegetarian can make it tough when it comes to making everyday dinners so when I come across a gem like this I get "high five" happy! This colourful meal provides you with all your food groups without lacking in the flavor department (and it's vegetarian to boot!). I walk you through the process of making this with pictures and at the end you will find the whole recipe.

I am a big veggie lover so a recipe that requires vibrant produce like this is aces.

*Tip* When mincing onions I wear my fella's sunglasses; it blocks the onion from stinging your eyes with that searing tear inducing pain not to mention the added bonus feeling like a tough chick while you chop. Be careful not to cut too erratically though because it does get significantly darker under those things!

I think citrus zest makes everything taste better, it's so fresh and invigorating. Plus, it makes my hands feel and smell really clean.

This is how the salsa will look after all the chopping and zesting is done. I suggest taking a deep whiff of this fragrant bowl.

This dish has a special surprise ingredient: gin and lots of it! .....just kidding, the gin was gulped down long ago and the gorgeous Van Gogh bottle has since been re-used for olive oil by buying a pouring spout at the dollar store. It looks much prettier on the counter than a generic store brand bottle.

And it pours like it was born for the job.

My frying pan happens to fit the size of the tortilla shell perfectly which makes it especially easy for this sometimes messy recipe.

Everything is better with cheese.

*Another Tip* When cracking the egg onto the tortilla shells it makes it much neater if you hold the yolk in place with a shell half until it sets enough that it wont fall to the sides making a mess. If it doesn't work for you, it really doesn't make a difference for the end result. I just like it to be pretty.

Aren't eggs so happy looking? I always smile at a fresh cracked egg.

Browned to perfection. (When you flip yours for the first time, expect a bit of a mess and maybe even a cracked and leaking yolk. The more you do it, the easier it gets.)

I like my yolk just seared on top and runny inside, leave it flipped for longer if you don't like it gooey.

Topped with salsa and a sour cream dollop is your cue to start salivating.

Poke that yolk and dig in to the ooze. If you are looking for more food on your plate, this dish goes great with some fresh greens or black beans on the side.

Serves Four

Ingredients:

For Shells:
Four Soft Tortilla Shells (the heartier and grainier the better in my opinion!)
Four eggs
1 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
4 tbsp Olive Oil

For Salsa:
2-3 Roma Tomatoes (I used a handful of grape tomatoes purely because that's what I had on hand)
Half a Red Onion
1-2 Jalapeno Peppers (depending on spicy preference)
Half a Lime Zest and Juice
Optional: 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro if you like the taste

Directions:

Mince tomatoes, onion and peppers then mix in a bowl with lime zest and juice(add cilantro if you're using it too). Set aside for later.

In a skillet on low heat, pour 1 tablespoon of oil in pan and add a tortilla shell. It's important to keep the heat relatively low or the tortilla tends to burn quickly. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheddar on the shells and let it start to melt. Crack an egg onto the tortilla (it's ok to be messy!) and let the egg cook to your preference-about 2-3 minutes. Flip the entire shell and sear the top of the egg-about 15-30 seconds. Repeat for all four tortilla shells.

Remove from heat and add a spoonful of salsa and a dollop of sour cream to your tortilla masterpiece. Dig in!

1 comments:

Amber @ fromtheseeds said...

Made them for dinner tonight, thanks for the inspiration lady! I had mine with salsa and sour cream and a dollop of beans. Was so good. My favorite part was the crispy edges. Your pictures are mouth watering, I tried your egg trick, it's a good idea, will just take me some practice to perfect.. I had a few splooshy yolks when flipping!

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!