Monday, May 24, 2010

Make An Entrance

First impressions are important and the first impression your home gets to make starts in the foyer. I love a good entrance and tend to compile my favs in a special folder... because I'm super cool like that. Here are some of the entrances that have me singing, "and she's buying a stairway to heaven."

Oh the grandeur of it all! Like something straight out of a fairytale. Cinderella should be rushing down the steps to try on the glass slipper any second now.

One of Nic Cage's homes that was up for sale. This entire home was very gothic and lavish. The entrance is probably the most subdued part of the whole home. Some rooms reminded me of a Russian castle.

I love the bench against the cool blue colour in this Sarah Richardson design. She keeps her designs fairly crisp and clean for the most part-pretty but not fancy schmancy.

Speaking of fancy schmancy, I'm not 100% sure if a foyer can "vogue" but I think this one just did. "Strike a pose, there's nothing to it."

It's a little hard to tell but if you look closely you can see a waterfall wall coming down the side of the stairs. Unnecessary? Maybe.... Cool? Heck yes!

A simple yet totally stunning family home. My first thoughts were coming down stairs Sunday morning in your robe to the smell of coffee and opening the door to collect the paper. I usually devote a lot of time to picturing such things; I can't wait to have a house!

Iron wrought at it's finest. This looks like the type of home where you would be greeted at the door by a droll butler named Cadbury.

"Hello, is it me you're looking for?" (In case you lost, track that's three cheesy song references in regards to foyers. I think Lionel Richie's was the best myself.)

Lastly, contemporary and classic. Cant go wrong! This is a monochromatic scheme that delivers on class without feeling stuffy and unwelcoming.

So what's your entrance look like? Do your stairs inspire out of date songs to be sung in their honor? Does it make a statement or is it more a place to just kick off your shoes and head for the fridge?

*Foyer pictures are courtesy of Sarah Richardson Design, DecorPad.com and MLS Listings*

 

4 comments:

ilovemyhouse said...

Everybody makes an entrance through the back door here. So no grandeur! Love the simple entrance of Sarah Richardson. xx

Anonymous said...

I love the 3rd one down. You will be designing something very similar to this for me. Either that or the 6th one down. Perfection.

Unknown said...

Great photos, would love to slide down all of those bannister railsxxxxx

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I just love Sarah Richardson's. I wish mine looked like that! I'm also digging the one a few down from it. So simple but elegant.

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!